Register to Vote
Register to vote, by printing out the voter form below, and mail it or drop off to your county Board of Elections.
Exercise your right as an American citizen — register to vote. You can also use this online service to join a political party, change your party designation, or update your name and address on file with the Board of Elections.
To register to vote you must:
- Be a United States citizen;
- Be 18 years old by December 31 of the year in which you file this form (note: you must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary or other election in which you want to vote);
- Be a resident of this state and the county, city or village for at least 30 days before the election;
- Not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction (unless parolee pardoned or restored rights of citizenship);
- Not be adjudged mentally incompetent by a court;
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
To register online, you will need:
- NYS driver license, permit, or non-driver ID card
- ZIP Code currently on record with the DMV
- Social security number
If you do not put a DMV number or the last 4 digits of your social security number on the form, please fill out this form and attach a copy of an alternative form of ID before mailing in or dropping off to your County Board of Elections.
Completed online applications are sent to local County or City Board of Elections for approval and processing which can take up to six weeks. The DMV does not approve or deny voter registration applications. Contact your County Board of Elections if you haven't gotten a response within six weeks.